Friday, January 27, 2012

Chapter Nine: Vendetta

Afghanistan
Helmand Province
Laskar Gah City
August 14, 2011
14:41 PM


Nate awakes from his unconsciousness. When he opens his eyes, he sees a grey walled dim and damp room with only a single white light bulb hanging on a long cable. Dusty crates were put and piled up on two stories on the right corner. Stench of dungeon fills the air. In front of him, two men in black standing guard on a dirty dark brown wooden door. It is a basement.

" So, you're awake.." Says Gulzar while walking back and forth a bit distant in front of Nate.

When Nate realizes what is happening, he tries to draw his arms but they felt restrained on his back. He is handcuffed and restrained by one of Gulzar's subordinate while kneeling. " Who are you? What do you want from me?" Growls Nate.

" You maybe not even remember a thing. But I will refresh the history.."

" My name is Gulzar Azgari. Seven years ago, 2004, you and your subordinates stormed a building in Fallujah, Iraq and killed everyone in it. You thought there were no survivors? You were wrong. I was conversing with my colleague when you stormed the room. Yes, you stabbed me. I remember, yes, it was you. I fell unconscious. When I awoke I saw you giving command, I pretended to die so you would not notice me. When you left, I saw my colleague, he was dead. Then I  staggered out from the room finding way out. Suddenly, the room blasted throwing me and gave me this!!" Gulzar then shows Nate a scar of burnt on the right side of his face.

" I managed to walk out of the building. From that destruction, only two survived including me. Finally, the city fell into Allied hands. For months, I had to live in streets, afflicted by hunger and pain before I managed to return home. At home, my family thought I was dead. I lost my wife and my children. I waited for the right time to find who did that. You have destroyed my life and my family's, I will destroy yours and your family's!"

" So this is a vendetta? You came this far and shot down my plane only to kill me? You brought your subordinates to solve your personal problem? What a shame!" Says Nate.

" Silence!" Yells Gulzar while kicks Nate.

Gulzar's two subordinates then punch, kick and beat Nate with rifle. " (Cough).. (Cough).. Let's see what's gonna be if this handcuffs are released.. I'll make sure I don't make mistake again.." Says Nate smiling.

One of Gulzar's men, points his AK101 at Nate's head, " Commander, shall we finish him off?" Gulzar halts him, " Don't! Afghan and British soldiers are still up there. Gunshot will draw their attention." On the surface, US, British and Afghan soldiers overrun streets, alleys and buildings, rounding up prisoners and checking buildings.

Gulzar then moves away from Nate then approaches Nate's left carrying Nate' ninja sword. " Al - Tous, with your sword you have taken many lives, with your sword as well, yours willl be taken." Says Gulzar.

Gulzar then raises the sword vertically in the air. Seeing it, Nate struggles desperately tries to release himself. Gulzar's subordinate restrains him stronger. When Gulzar is about to swing the sword, the brown door blasts, warding off the two guards and bashing one on the left side of the door to wall. It sends Gulzar and his subordinates into surprise. Shiori and Jack, followed by several Afghan and British soldiers storm the room. Gulzar quickly runs away through the another door. Nate's sword falls from his grip. Shiori and Jack stab and slash the two of Gulzar's subordinates. Afghan and British soldier manage to neutralize one of the men in black who tries to fight back by shooting his AK101 rifle. The situation quickly goes into a hostage situation by an outnumbering stand off between numerous ninjas, Afghan and British soldiers against one of Gulzar's men pointing Nate's sword at Nate's neck.

" Put your weapon down!!"

" You are surrounded!!"

" Come further and I will kill him!!"

" Release him! Release him now!!" Screams Shiori.

" Throw your weapons and put your arms on the air!!"

" You! You! Back off!! Back off!!"

Nate, seeing that, gathers his strength and manages to break the handcuff. He quickly turns the table at the Iranian, takes his sword then slashes him. Seeing that, the Allied soldiers overrun the room checking for survivors.

" Shiori.." Says Nate.

" Sir.. Are you..." Asks Jack but he is quickly silenced by Shiori's act.

Shiori silently walks toward Nate approaching him then suddenly delivers a hard punch at Nate's face that bashes him to ground to Nate and the soldiers' surprise. " How could you do that!! Why did you do that?!!" Cries her hysterically while beating Nate. " I hate you!! I hate you!!" Screams her to Nate while crying. No one dares to intervene. But when she sees Nate's blood covered face, she stops then drops her tanto knife. She then covers her face and cries. Everyone who sees are appalled and can say nothing about it.

Nate rises then speaks to Shiori, " Shiori, I'm sorry.. (Cough) (Cough) There's nothing I can say about what I did..."

Shiori keeps crying while covering her face. 

" I'm sorry.. I'm so sorry..." Says Nate sadly.

" Sir, I see you need medical assistance.." Says a British medical personnel.

" Thank you, I'll get it later.. Now I have something to solve.." Replies Nate.

" Yes, sir." Says the British Medical personnel.

" Why did you do that to me?! I thought we would never see each other again! Why did you do that to me?! Why?!" Cries her.

" I'm sorry.. It was the only thing I could do to save you... I wouldn't defend what I did.. I hated it but I must do it.. If there's something I can do to make up, please let me know.." Says Nate.

" Shiori.." Says Nate unreplied.

The two are sent into silence. Those surrounding them have nothing to say. Some pretend not hearing or seeing anything. While others contemplate how war brings misery and sorrow. Some British suddenly realize tears coming down from their eyes seeing the scene and reminded of their families on home.

" Please.. Tell me what I should do.." Says Nate to Shiori. Nate removes the pride of a leader and a ninja who have killed one hundred and fifty enemies. What he shows to Shiori, is that he is a reunited husband and a father who is waited by his children at home.

" Nate.. Will you promise me.. That you would never do such thing again?" Says Shiori.

Nate silences for a moment then answers, " I promise.."

Glasses of tears of relief appear again on her eyes. The same large beautiful eyes he first saw at Nokovko forest in Russia ten years ago.

A Scottish officer comes to Nate, salutes then addresses him, " Sir, Mam, I am Captain Lance Campbell from 
2 SCOTS. Our patrol encountered your wife about four blocks from here. Fortunately, one of your subordinate named Jack, managed to track them and showed us the way. We are sorry if we were late. We will give a safe passage for you to evacuate from this city to Kabul."

" Captain Campbell, I don't know how to show my gratitude. Thank you very much." Replies Nate.

In the aftermath, Allied forces manage to regain control of the city. Most of the surviving insurgents try to flee to the east. Unbeknownst to them, they run into concentration of heavily armored Private Echelon units which is covered by attack helicopters on an open desert ground which inflict devastating losses on them, only three of them who are heavily wounded captured. While those who flee southward are hunted by some units of ninjas.

To be continued


License: Personal use and read only. Further usage requiring permission from author.
Disclaimer: All contents are fiction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment